Filipino Chopsuey Recipe
Filipino Style Chopsuey is one of the most popular vegetables dishes in the Philippines. It was adopted from the American-Chinese Chopsuey which is believed to have originated in America invented by a Chinese immigrant.
The dish consists of a stir fried vegetables with meat, poultry, or fish and seafood. The most common vegetables ingredients of Filipino Style Chopsuey are cabbage, carrots and green peppers along with chicken, pork, and shrimp. A cornstarch diluted in water is added to thicken the sauce. However, you can always use your culinary skills to modify the dish from the most common ingredients. Depending on your preference, you can always choose the vegetables, meat, poultry, fish and seafood, or whatever ingredients you think is suitable to this dish.
Most often, Chinese dishes are quickly cooked in a wok using high heat. The same way in cooking Chopsuey, it is recommended that you stir fry the vegetables with high heat to achieve that crunchy texture of the vegetable making the dish look more fresh, appetizing, and vibrant.
4 cloves garlic; minced
1 onion; chopped
Chosse four (4) meat ingredients from the list:
- 1/4 kilo pork; sliced sliced into small pieces (preferred)
- 1/4 kilo shrimps; shelled (preferred)
- 1/4 kilo chicken giblets & liver; sliced to small pieces (preferred)
- 2-3 chicken wings, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 kilo pork's liver; sliced
- 1/4 kilo hotdog sausage; sliced
Choose eight (8) vegetable ingredients from the list:
- 1 piece red bell pepper; sliced (preferred)
- 1 medium carrot; sliced into thin circles (preferred)
- 1/4 kilo cabbage; cut into thin ribbon-like shreds (preferred)
- 2 stalks of leeks; cut into 2-inch portions (preferred)
- 3 stalks celery; cut into 2-inch portions
- 1/4 kilo cauliflower; divided into flowerettes
- 1/4 kilo sayote; peeled and sliced
- 1/4 kilo snow peas (sitsaro); stringed
- 1/4 kilo bok choy; cut into 2-inch portions
- 1/4 kilo mushrooms; cut in 2-inch portions
- 1/4 kilo young corn about 2-inch long
- 1/4 kilo baguio beans; stringed
2 cups chicken or pork broth
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Salt to taste
Chopsuey Cooking Ingreidients:
Mix cornstarch with 1/2 cup water. Set aside the mixture.
In a wok under high heat, quickly stir fry the vegetables until it becomes crunchy. Set aside in a plate.
In same wok, sauté garlic and onion, then add the meat ingredients. Season with salt and allow time for meat to absorb seasoning. Add broth and bring to a simmer. Add the vegetables and cornstarch-water mixture to thicken the sauce. Balance seasoning with salt according to taste. Cook quickly as not to overcook the vegetables.
Add vegetables in the order of their respective tenderness. Add first those that are longer to cook than those easier to get tender.
Leave a Comment:
Wow! Ang sarap tlaga ng chopsuey! Sarap ulit ulitin.
Ruby 13/09/2011 12:18
thanks for this delicious and nutritious recipe :)
keep up the good work :)
God Bless :))