Pork Sizzling Sisig Recipe
If the Ilocanos have Dinakdakan, the Pampangenos have Sisig. The difference of the two is the manner in which they are cooked. Dinakdan uses the method of boiling, and grilling the pig's head parts prior to finalizing the dish, while Sigig uses the method of boiling, grilling, and stir-frying the pig's parts.
Sisig, also called Sizzling Sisig, is a dish that is made up of chopped pig's head parts (e.g. face, snout, cheeks, and ear) and chicken liver, usually served in a sizzling platter garnished with chopped onion, chili pepper, and slices of calamansi fruits. This dizzyingly delicious Filipino dish is a popular appetizers (pulutan) that goes along with beer and often served in bars, restaurants, and where 'drinking session' and 'good bottle conversation' (maboboteng usapan) takes place in the Philippines.
The invention of Sisig goes back in 1970's when Aling Lucing, real name Lucia Cunanan, invented the dish out of pig's head parts and chicken liver in Pampanga, Philippines. In fact, she established a restaurant in Angeles City, Pampanga, Philippines after her name as "Aling Lucing's restaurant".
With changing times, variations of Sisig were developed. Cooks began topping the dish with raw egg while the platter is still sizzling and pork cracklings, and mixing it with pig's brain or mayonnaise. Later on, Sisig made out of lechon kawali, chicken, tuna, salmon, milkfish, chorizo, and tofu were also developed.
Another awesome variation of Sisig is using the left over Lechon. Chop the head parts of the Lechon pig. Follow the cooking procedure, add the remaining Sisig ingredients and spices, and then finalize it by blending the pig's brain to the dish.
Pork Sisig Ingredients
- 2 lbs pigs's head parts (face, snout, cheeks, and ear)
- 1/4 lb liver (chicken, pork, or beef)
- 1 tablespoon garlic; minced
- 1 medium size onion; chopped
- 3 chili peppers (siling labuyo) chopped
- 3 calamansi fruits; sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
For Boiling Ingredients
- 2-3 cups water
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon of whole black peppers
- 1/4 lb tongue
- 1/4 lb heart
- 1/4 lb pork belly
Pork Sisig Cooking Instructions
- Boil pig's heads parts in water, pineapple juice, and whole black peppers until tender.
- Grill pork's head parts, and liver. You can use skewers to grill chicken livers.
- Chop the grilled pig's parts and liver into about 1/4 inch sized cubes.
- In a sizzler platter or skillet over high heat, sauté garlic.
- Add and stir-fry the pig's parts and liver. Quickly remove from fire when meat starts to render fat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and garnish with chopped onion, chili peppers, and slices of calamansi fruits.
Leave a Comment