Atchara / Atsara Recipe
Atchara / Atsara is the Philippine version of pickle made, basically, from fresh green papaya, bell pepper, carrot, onion, ginger, and raisins.
Atchara / Atsara Recipe Ingredients
- 4 cups of fresh green papaya; shredded
- 1/2 cup bell pepper; sliced in strips
- 1/2 cup carrots; sliced strips or rounds, or combination
- 1/2 onion; thinly sliced
- 1 thumb-size ginger root; sliced in strips
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon salt
Pickling liquid ingredients:
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup white sugar
- Salt to taste
Atchara / Atsara Recipe Instructions
- Place the shredded papaya in a large bowl, sprinkle with salt and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Using a strainer, rinse the papaya and place it in the middle of cheesecloth. Squeeze the cheesecloth to discard much of the papaya liquid.
- Place back the shredded papaya in the bowl. Add carrots, ginger, onions, bell pepper, ginger, and raisins. Mix and set aside the mixture.
- Meanwhile, boil vinegar and sugar together in a saucepan. When sugar is diluted, turn off the heat and season with salt according to your taste. Pour this pickling liquid in the mixture and mix thoroughly. Keep refrigerated for at least 1 hour before serving.
Leave a Comment